Cottages are NZ$190 per night,, 4 nights minimum stay. They are fully self-contained and self-service.
Studio is $90/night 7 nights minimum stay. It is fully self-contained and self-service.
Lots of wonderful memories waiting for you to create. Are you ready?
We all need to escape now and then; giving ourselves a chance to slow down and recharge. Our secluded cottages are surrounded by nothing but beautiful scenery and endless serenity. And if you like to snorkel, you might just bump into one of the turtles who make Muri Lagoon home.
Nestled in natural volcanic forest each with a private deck for stunning views of Muri’s famous lagoon, they lend themselves to giving you solitude, privacy and all the comforts a holiday maker appreciates. They are fully screened with fans. Each Cottage is $190 per night with a four night minimum.
A delightful A-Frame abode, the Studio is characterized by its thatched sloping front, timber beams, a comfy queen-size bed, a self-contained kitchenette, lots of books, a garden chill out area & three minute walk through the property to the beach. The Studio is $90 per night with a minimum seven night stay.
The open living environment is an integrated space that lies beneath an elevated timber rooftop to encourage natural light and healthy air circulation. Each cottage is fully screened and has an over head fan. Each cottage is $190 per night with a four night minimum. Airport transfers upon request.
Spectacular views will lure you outdoors throughout your visit. Enjoy them from the covered deck while you relax in a hammock or sip your morning cuppa in a deck chair. The outdoors is here for you to enjoy!
There is nothing more relaxing than waking up with the sound and smell of the tropics, except of course knowing that you can move from bed to hammock and enjoy the sunrise with little interruption.
Are you ready to book? We'd love to have you stay with us. Please let us know your flight details and where you are coming from. FYI. Date line changes & flight arrivals from New Zealand in those early hours can mean 'gaining a day' and it's easy to be caught without a room for the night.
The Studio is located closer to the road and backs up onto lush gardens. Built in 1968, it is more of the rustic variety and well-suited for the independent or budget traveler. Recently renovated it is a delight to stay in either short or long term. Minimum seven night stay. Airport transfers upon request.
If you don't want to eat in, across the road you'll find great fish & chips at Vibe or check out Mai'i Bar with its live music a few times per week.
The Studio was originally built by artist Rick Welland in 1967. It has a lovely feel with charm and character making it an interesting and inspiring place to stay.
Fruit platter with Koka Lagoon Cruise
Muri Beach Cottages have all the facilities you need to self-cater. Just bring your own food, and prepare meals in the kitchenette. There is a double electric element and barbeque for cooking and you'll find all the cutlery, crockery, pots and pans that you'll need.
If you want a break from cooking, a selection of fantastic cafes and restaurants are all within walking distance either down the beach or along the road.
If you need to pop out for supplies, you'll find a stores across the main road and Avarua township is about a 15-minute drive away.
Facilities Include: Book and DVD library, landscaped tropical gardens, self service laundry, snorkeling gear & a guest BBQ.
Separated from the road by a lush garden strewn with natural volcanic rocks this special piece of land is situated on the far end of Muri Beach. Away from the more popular and busy tourist area it lends itself to giving you solitude and privacy yet easy walking access distance to a variety of dining experiences and lagoon related activities.
A photographer’s paradise, a book lover’s heaven... we are a haven for those desiring 'time out' from electromagentics and the busy outside world.
We offer no TV, just stars above, beaches to comb, waves to observe, books to read, geckos to name (and not feed), gardens to relax in and sunrises to admire.
A superb place to unwind we are perfect for seasoned travelers, couples, honeymooners, and those who just want a bit of solitude and quiet space away from a busy holiday resort. Adults only: 18 years and older
Muri Beach Cottages is a hidden gem. This adult only beach-front retreat is perfect for couples and beachcombers looking for a self-contained, secluded and private escape. If you are looking for a truly special place to come and stay, then you'll love our location. A stay with us is all about you having a lovely holiday, being able to do your own cooking or eat out, relax in the hammock or look for the turtles who make the lagoon their home and enjoy all that Rarotonga has to offer at your own pace and in your own way. We offer a great location for accessing Muri Beach with its hive of activities and yet are far enough away that you’ll feel like you’ve got the island to yourself.
Cook Islands’ time is GMT-10 hours, the same time zone as Hawaii. Do your calculation before arrival, as booking accommodation to start a day too early is a common mistake.
Yes. There is good snorkeling and enough lagoon to sit and enjoy the warm waters. We do have coral and at low tide its best to walk about down the beach for deeper waters.
Right across the road can be found Vibe Fish & Chips, a liquor & convenience store, beauty spa & a lively local bar/restaurant. Ten minutes down the beach is the hub of Muri Beach with a night market and lots of food/entertainment/activities for your enjoyment.
Life in the tropics includes free ranging dogs and chickens. While we do our best to keep our property rooster free, every once in a while we do have one make our home his. It is rare though and so our guests enjoy their sleep free of crows & barks.
Anytime between January and December is perfect as the Cook Islands enjoy a pleasant warm and sunny climate all year round. June to August are the cooler months, November to March marks the warmer season, with occasional tropical showers. The drier months, from April to November, average 26°C. The warmer, more humid and damp season is from December to March, with temperatures ranging between 22°C (min) and 30°C (max).
Coming to the Cooks
• Is your Passport up to date? A valid and current passport is required by all travellers to the Cook Islands. Make sure your passport has at least 6 months validity beyond the contemplated stay, in order to enter the country.
• Visitor Entry Permits: On arrival into the Cook Islands, a valid passport and return ticket will allow you a stay of up to 31 days. New Zealand citizens are eligible for a 90-day stay on arrival. You must have accommodation arranged before arrival.
• Getting around on Rarotonga It is very easy to get around using public transport. There are two buses which circle the island hourly; one clockwise the other anti-clockwise. The buses will stop anywhere along the main road. All you have to do is smile and wave them down.
• There are a number of taxi companies.
• Car and motorbikes can be hired (in fact there is a rental company over the road from Muri Beach Cottages). Bicycles can also be hired.
• We drive on the left and the maximum speed limit is 50 kilometres per hour. In villages and near schools it is 30kph.
• International visitors (over 16 years) can drive in the Cook Islands for up to six months using their overseas licence. You will only be allowed to drive the class of motor vehicle that you are entitled to drive in your home country. The overseas licence must be in English or a certified translation provided.
• If you are renting a scooter and if your licence does not show ‘motorbike’ you will need to go to the police station, have a test and get a Cook Islands drivers licence.
We use New Zealand currency and also have some local notes and coins with the same value as the New Zealand money but they can only be used locally. They include a triangular $2, a 12-sided $5 and a scallop-edged $1 coin and a $3 note. Great souvenirs.
There are three banks in town plus many ATMs. EFTPOS is available at most hotels and larger stores.
Western Union has an office in Avarua and in Muri offering money exchange and transfers.
• Muri Beach Cottages has a WiFi hotspot.
• We have local sim cards available for our guests to use. You can top these up at Vodafone in Avarua and at a number of stores around the island.
• (You can purchase a WiFi hotspot voucher from any Vodafone outlet or reseller anywhere in the Cook Islands, and also online at the Vodafone website. Prices range from $5 (expires after 3 days) to $50 (expires after 30 days). Visitor sim cards are also available at $49.)
• There are dozens to choose from. Check the information in the What’s On booklet in the units or on TripAdvisor which gives the distances from Muri Beach Cottages.
• The Night Market in Muri is very popular and has a variety of local and simple meals available for low costs.
There are shops over the road from Muri Beach Cottages. The Avarua town shops are open from 8am to 4pm Mon to Fri and Sat 8am 12. Saturday morning at Punanga Nui market is a must for local food, produce and handicrafts. If you want produce – go early.
Kayaks and snorkeling gear can be rented at a variety of places along Muri Beach. We recommend using protective footwear when in the lagoon, the coral is very sharp. There are stone fish in the lagoon, not many to be sure, but footwear will help protect in the unlikely event you step on one.
I have Tilo (cat) and two dogs, Bella (very timid) and Suki who is shy yet friendly. They love to wander around the property and come visit for a sleep, scratch or pet. If you are not fond of cats or allergic they will leave you alone if you let them know. Please do not feed my pets, nor strays that may either follow you or call around the property.
“The tan lines will fade, but the memories will last forever” – Unknown
“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson
“Sometimes in the waves of change we find our true direction.” – Unknown
Situated at the quiet southeastern end of Muri Beach, our unique beachfront location offers you solitude and privacy. This peaceful location is but a three minute scooter ride or a 12 minute walk to the popular Muri village were you will find hotels, bars and restaurants, spas, dive centers, kayak or kite hire, kite-surfing, paddle board or wing-foil instruction and other visitor facilities. With stunning open views of Muri's famous lagoon, breath-taking sunrises and reef islets we're ideally located for a special island holiday.
Muri Beach is known as one of the most popular areas to stay and visit in Rarotonga. Brimming with delicious restaurants, beach clubs, boutique shops, beaches with white sands and being close to the beautiful motu Ta'akoka where turtles roam, it's easy to see why. So come along and give yourself some time to relax and enjoy Muri Lagoon and the island of Rarotonga.